31 January 2013

Evolution of Language: The Good, The Bad and The Annoying

As a relatively loyal Linux user, I had never heard the term "Apple Ecosystem" until just a few weeks ago. Recently, though, it's been coming up constantly. Every time I hear it, I feel like Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."  

Generally, I enjoy the fluidity and adaptability of language, American English in particular. I didn't realize how amazing this is until I was in Mallorca for a conference. We had a local tour guide for a day, and someone recommended that she "google" something. She commented how much she liked how we could make new words as needed in English, and that she didn't think it was as common in Spanish.

However, I don't think absconding with a word and diluting the incredible complexity associated with it, as in the case of the new 'ecosystem', has any additive value to the language. And it drives me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment