29 April 2013

Paper cranes reach the final frontier



Last week Robert J. Lang gave a talk for the computer science department at my university. He has a Ted Talk that presented a very accessible version of his talk to a lay audience, versus the emphasis on algorithm development and its applications to origami that he shared with us on Wednesday.

I've always preferred modular origami and tessellations  I found the symmetry and elegance much more immediate, and I loved seeing how repeating units could be built up:



I haven't done much origami in years, except the occasional piece as a gift or decoration for someone. However, seeing the interface between algorithm, art, and engineering that Lang presented (like the up and coming Eyeglass Telescope, or Miura's folding solar panel for Japanese satellite) refreshed my interest. I need to see if I still have paper around...

No comments:

Post a Comment